Saturday, September 6, 2008

A great morning in Little Cottonwood Canyon

Coach Chris, Amiee, Ashley, and I set the alarms to get up early on a Saturday for a trip to LCC. We met at 9 at the Park and Ride (not that early, I guess) and hiked over to the Secret Garden to warm up. It was definitely a little warm, temp-wise, but there was some friction to be had. It was nice to get outside though. We met an SLC-import from Dallas, TX, whose wife works for great friend of The Front and the global climbing community, Petzl.





As we were packing up to head to the Cabbage Patch, Front members Bonnie and Grant showed up. It was great to see them.

Bonnie and Grant getting ready to warm up at the Secret Garden.

The next stop was the Cabbage Patch, a 5 minute walk up the canyon. After 5 more problems, my fingers were done. Ashley hiked the sit start to Fungus, as well as A Bit Slopey, despite the rising temps. Chris made quick work of Fungus, and Amiee got busy on one of the classic slab problems.

Today was one of the few times I actually remembered to bring a bag, so I could pick up trash at the boulders. I got a pretty good collection of used tape at the Cabbage Patch. On the walk back to the Park and Ride, though, I was quickly able to fill up the bag. Everyone else grabbed some trash too.

Above is the final trash pile. If everyone brought a bag with them every time they came up here, we could make a good dent in all the garbage that's accumulated.

-Sandy


P.S. Here's a picture of the sweet "subcutaneous flapper" I got when I overshot (but still caught) a jug on a problem at The Front. It didn't hurt. It didn't bleed. It was the best flapper I've ever had.

No comments: