Sunday, January 11, 2009

Strong Core = Strong Climbing

To avoid injury, as well as take your climbing to the next level, a strong core is key.

A monster strong core, in conjunction with finger strength, good technique, and a positive attitude, will help you on steep problems and keep you balanced on the slabs.

Check out this sweet core work out from Matt Hart, an endurance athlete and coach. The pictures help you understand the exercises, so you don't have to spend a lot of time reading weird descriptions. I did this workout 10 minutes after a 90 minute indoor climbing session. I started with 20 reps per exercise but got downgraded to 15 by exercise #4. Do this work out with a partner to yell at and/or heckle you (as my wife did), and then return the favor to them.

There is no shame in screaming or groaning.

Enjoy,
Sandy

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've had the pleasure of getting my butt kicked by Matt Hart at a few ultramarathons - that guy is an animal.

Back when I was serious about training I did all of these, but never in one continuous routine. I can only imagine how sore you must be feeling right now.

If you have Comcast there are a number of core workouts in the On-Demand Health & Fitness section. Not all of them are great, but I find it easier to workout when I have someone showing, and telling me what to do.